Friday, September 02, 2005

Congressional black caucus

Paraphrasing the comments of Rep. Elijah Cummings of the Congressional Black Caucus on air now: "We can not let it be said that the difference between living and dying in this great disaster was poverty, income and skin color." (exact quote to come) Quoting the Bible, "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat... you gave me somthing to drink... you invited me in and you clothed me... Then the righteous will answer, 'When did we see you a stranger and invite you in?...'" Said Rep Cummings: "God cannot be pleased with our response." Perfectly justified outrage. If a government’s primary responsibility is to protect its citizens, then the heartbreaking aftermath of Katrina in New Orleans is an illustration of the abdication of that responsibility. Was the evacuation order for New Orleans issued in time? Sure it was – for people with money in their pockets and a car in their garage.