Friday, September 02, 2005

It's not enough

I'm haunted by a viewer question from CNN yesterday afternoon. The question, to paraphrase, was this: "The United States can overthrow a government halfway across the world but it can't drop food and water to thousands of Americans trapped at the Superdome in New Orleans?" I don't care how many efficient federal or state press conferences announce that the relief process is underway. It's not enough. I don't care how many dry, well-fed but no doubt anguished officials proclaim to the world that help is on the way. It's not enough. There are still thousands of people trapped in New Orleans and they're starting to die. Whatever's being done is not enough. To quote Mayor Nagin: "You've got to be kidding me. This is a major national emergency... we authorized billions of dollars to invade Iraq... You mean to tell me a place where most of the oil [to the country] comes through" can't be evacuated?